I am on some well earned vacation. I can advise that during my time away tickets were issued, warnings were provided and individuals were arrested.
• We often pull over individuals that are obviously not wearing their seatbelts. Often these individuals ask for, or demand a warning. At this point we might give the following warning. “If you get caught again you will get another ticket” There’s your warning.
• The violators often give an excuse for not wearing their seatbelt such as. “I am in and out of my vehicle a lot making deliveries” “I have a important meeting and I don’t want to crease my clothing” “I normally don’t put it on until I am out of my driveway and forgot”. As for our defence against these excuses we also find we are in and out of our vehicles a lot being we have to give out tickets to people who refuse to comply with the law. As for the backing out of the driveway. If you are on the road it is too late since you need to have your seatbelt on before you enter any roadway. As for getting your clothing wrinkled, like really??
• Then individuals often say they are going to lose their job because of the ticket and the actions of the Police Officer. Apparently, some companies are pretty strict about seatbelt use. More strict than we are.
• We often get asked why we are wasting our time giving out seatbelt tickets. Well, we are apparently always wasting our time giving out tickets when we could be arresting real criminals. That said, we would rather not give out tickets, but it is our duty to make the community safer and seatbelt use makes everyone safer.
• We then get asked what can happen at slow speeds or on main street? Our answer is “a lot”. We have seen rollover collisions at slow speed, injury collisions at slow speed and well, if the seatbelt is being used it decreases or eliminates the injury.
• Now if you don’t wear your seatbelt it is not your choice. Tax payers have to pay for your medical care because you chose not to wear the seatbelt. In addition, why should first responders have to pick up the pieces, and I mean literally pieces if you choose not to wear the seat belt?
• We often deal with individuals with Mental Health Issues. An example of a recent incident is as follows:
• A complainant called being they are concerned about the trains choo’in, planes swoo’in, and they also have concerns about the ATV’s moooooov’in on their property. We have been dealing with this individual and several others for quite some time and we truly feel for them. Unfortunately what is not a Policing issue continues to be a policing issue being if nobody else will do anything we are expected to do something.